Rules Revisions

Started by BigBadHarve, October 12, 2012, 03:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetrooper27

Cool.  So as long as it affects the attack I'm making, it works.  An AI wouldn't work because it doesn't alter the attack I'm making, and Snow Blind doesn't work because it affects my opponents team and not mine.  Correct?
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

gameplan.exe

Quote from: thetrooper27 on January 25, 2013, 01:19:39 PM
Cool.  So as long as it affects the attack I'm making, it works.  An AI wouldn't work because it doesn't alter the attack I'm making, and Snow Blind doesn't work because it affects my opponents team and not mine.  Correct?

yeah, that's basically it. if it's going to alter the attack you're about to make (the card itself, or your team/character). again, you have to be a little careful with these, because sometimes it can actually make the attack easier to defend, because it's involving another card (the Special). for example, using a BG+Power card could then be defended with an AH, LO, or Negate, and the BG is then defended as well. or, also, it could be defended with an EE, and the Special still has to go away (or an AD like Batman's).

on the flipside, if you're paying attention, these buff cards can QUITE often make your attack more difficult to defend. if you know your opponent has an avoid 9 or less, using a BG+8 would pierce that :)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

thetrooper27

Good word for sure.  I'm getting there.

PowerBalance

Quote from: ncannelora on December 24, 2012, 01:10:51 AM
It's my understanding that the 5 can come anytime and combine with 15 other points to KO. There's nothing really in the Meta Rules to specify, and the card is pretty open. Hardly anyone uses Sabra or Rapture. Sabra had a good Marvel's card and is a decently cheap dual-grid, but I don't think I've ever seen Rapture in a deck. IMO, let it be the best of the interpretations  ;D

Sometimes I wish that the creators of OverPower were a little more methodical when creating the system for use of Specials (and Artifact/Aspect cards), so there would be much less room for misinterpretation. If it read more like a mathematical equation, many issues we face now would not be existent. I think all Specials should read like this:

---
Play as: (can be as many as needed, depending on how the Special would be played)
• Level x <power type> attack against <character> (front line, reserve, etc.)
• Non-numerical attack against <character>
• Non-numerical attack against Opponent
• Defensive action

Conditions for use: (again, as many as required)
• Player must have 1 character that is currently in K.O. pile
• Target character must have at least 1 placed card
• Attack made against <initiating character> must contain a strength icon

Effect: (can be as many as needed)
• If hit, acts as a level x <power type> hit on Current Battle/Permanent Record
• If hit, <character> cannot make attack during Offensive Action phase. Effect duration - End of battle / Until Attacked
• Player may have another Offensive Action phase to make an attack with <card type> immediately following Opponent's Defensive Action phase.
• <Initiating character> cannot be cumulative/spectrum K.O.'d. Effect duration - End of game.
---

So, for the case of that Sabra card, the text could be as follows (just taking one possible interpretation):
---
Play as:
Level 5 Energy attack on Front Line character

Conditions for use:
(None)

Effects:
1) If hit - acts as a level 5 Energy hit on Current Battle of target character. Effect duration - Hit.
2) If hit - when target character accumulates more than 15 points of damage, target character is K.O.'d, regardless of Inherent Abilities and other Special cards. Effect duration - End of game.
---

This leaves very little room for interpretation, and makes things much clearer. Would have been good if they did this for all Specials. Sure, it would have been a heck of a lot more text, but at least we wouldn't be facing the same issues we face in OverPower now.

Overpower: Power Balance - New Custom Expansion!
http://www.oppowerbalance.net
http://www.facebook.com/OPPowerBalance

gameplan.exe

hey PowerBalance, did you ever see the Jack Nicholson movie, "As Good As It Gets"? he's asked how he writes women so well. he answers that he thinks of a man and takes away reason an accountability (ha!).

anyway, sometimes I think of that scene when I think of how Overpower was developed... not sure why, exactly  :P
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

thetrooper27

Quote from: ncannelora on February 25, 2013, 12:28:01 AM
hey PowerBalance, did you ever see the Jack Nicholson movie, "As Good As It Gets"? he's asked how he writes women so well. he answers that he thinks of a man and takes away reason an accountability (ha!).

anyway, sometimes I think of that scene when I think of how Overpower was developed... not sure why, exactly  :P

No joke... one of my favorite movies of all time.

PowerBalance

Ha ha ha ha - what are you trying to say ncannelora? That OverPower is stripped of it's reason and accountability? LOL!

(Having said that, I'd have to agree! Ha ha ha ha!)

Overpower: Power Balance - New Custom Expansion!
http://www.oppowerbalance.net
http://www.facebook.com/OPPowerBalance