chain attacks

Started by breadmaster, July 20, 2011, 02:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breadmaster

i couldn't find a relevant meta rule regarding these, so maybe y'all can help

DG: acts as a level 2 attack, may make 2 additional attacks.

if the first additional is a chain attack, do you forfeit the second attack? or can you make the 'second' attack whenever the chain ends.  can you make 2 separate chain attacks?

Jack

The moment you choose to use the additional attack, you forfeit any other additional attacks from that level. Trying to find it in text...

So:
DG->[AA->Power Card] is legal.
DG->[Power Card],[AA->Power Card] is legal.
DG->[AA->Power Card],[Power Card] is illegal.

gameplan.exe

so, with Nightcrawler -
DG - AA - AS and I'm done, right? I forfeit the follow up on the AA.

and,
DG - CC - AA - AS and I'm done, right?

So, with Beyonder, I cannot do the following 5-card string?
DG - GJ+Lv.7 Powercard - JW+Lv.8 Powercard
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jack

With your first example, the AS can be either a follow up to the AA or the DG, preferably the DG so you get a +2 bonus.

Second example, the CC and AA get +2 bonuses. The AS doesn't get one (unless I'm wrong..., the bonus only applies to the additional attacks and not the additional additional).

Third example, yes, you cannot do that because the GJ would be the first additional attack and DG's second additional is gone.

gameplan.exe

So, essentially, even though a GJ was the first follow up, and it has it's own follow up, the Lv.7 Power card would be the 2nd attack of the DG, not the second attack of the GJ - right?

Basically, you can't go back and "finish" following up on a previously played Special. Is that right?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jack

If you want to put it that way, then yes, it can also be looked at as the second additional from the first level. Or the first additional at the second level.

breadmaster

that all makes sense,  but are there any printed rules to support it?

Jack

Maybe it was one of those things that I spoke to BBH about..  or maybe I'm entirely wrong on the subject. I can't seem to find any text supporting it.

Onslaught

Teammates lose additional attacks, not a single user though.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Jack on July 20, 2011, 04:24:47 PM
Maybe it was one of those things that I spoke to BBH about..  or maybe I'm entirely wrong on the subject. I can't seem to find any text supporting it.

No, you're right. That was a common question back in the day, as it came up often. But damned if I can't find it written anywhere either. Did you check the tournament guide?

I believe it simply comes from the basic notion that you follow the effects of the most recent card played. If your most recent card allows 2 attacks, you make two attacks. If one of those attacks allows one more, then you continue on from there and ignore everything else.

Another way to look at it might be this -

Play a DG, and gain 2 extra attacks. My follow up is an AA, granting 1 extra attack, which I make... but I have now made 2 additional attacks from my DG, so the requirement is fulfilled regardless of what the AA allows. I can keep going because the AA has allowed an attack, but that doesn't change the fact that I've done two attacks thus ending the DG.

But however you look at it - you cannot in any way 'store' the excess attacks and go back to them later. You use them right away, or you do not get them. That doesn't mean you can't chain, it just means you have to use the cards in a specific order to make the most of it. But a single character can certainly keep going - That's what makes Beyonder Chain decks so devastating.

-BBH

Jack

Quote from: BigBadHarve on July 20, 2011, 04:50:58 PM
Quote from: Jack on July 20, 2011, 04:24:47 PM

No, you're right. That was a common question back in the day, as it came up often. But damned if I can't find it written anywhere either. Did you check the tournament guide?
I've looked, not much is there except  the teammate's chains being severed.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: ncannelora on July 20, 2011, 02:49:32 PM
so, with Nightcrawler -
DG - AA - AS and I'm done, right? I forfeit the follow up on the AA.

and,
DG - CC - AA - AS and I'm done, right?

So, with Beyonder, I cannot do the following 5-card string?
DG - GJ+Lv.7 Powercard - JW+Lv.8 Powercard

So, BBH, do you agree with my last example, then? and the following 2 statements are correct?

DG + GJ + Lv.7PC + JW + Lv.8PC = illegal
DG + Lv.7PC + GJ + JW + Lv.8PC = legal

that makes sense to me, because the GJ is leaving the door open for the JW

So, with Nightcrawler
DG + AA + CC + AS = illegal, as I can't "go back" and use the AA follow up
DG + AS + AA + CC = legal, as the AA is leaving the door open for the CC
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

steve2275

DG + AS + AA + DZ=legal
DG + HF + AA + DZ=legal
you get the idea with nightcrawler