Favorite Comic Artists

Started by gameplan.exe, January 30, 2013, 10:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KObossy

Quote from: ncannelora on February 01, 2013, 10:19:30 AM
Quote from: KObossy on January 30, 2013, 12:46:12 PM
JoeMad is a great artist also but placing Battle Chasers on "indefinite hiatus" was unforgiveable! :o

This must be something from my own personal "dark ages" of not reading/following comics... save me a google trip and someone fill me in...

He created Battle Chasers & the art was incredible while the story was solid. As he put out the comics he started falling farther & farther behind on his release dates. Eventually before completing his 1st story arc he decided to quit & do video game art. I would have loved to have seen action figures of this comic.

thetrooper27

I always thought it wouldve been cool for him to finish the story in an video game if he wasn't gonna finish the book.
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

gameplan.exe

Quote from: thetrooper27 on February 03, 2013, 04:07:58 PM
I always thought it wouldve been cool for him to finish the story in an video game if he wasn't gonna finish the book.

Yeah, so I did some brief Wiki-research. That series sounded intriguing, but was the story any good? It seems possible that half-naked redhead might've been selling as many books as any other factor  :-\

Also, anyone play his videogame(s)? any good?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

thetrooper27

For fanboys that liked to drool all over comic bimbos, yeah, Red Monika sold many a book.  But the story was fantasy and fun for sure. 

My favorite part:  Garrison, the swordsman of the book, had given up the sword when Fionna, his lady, died, vowing never to fight again.  I forget all the details... but when this guy comes along and convinces him to break his vow, because he's so awesome that no one else can do it, a drunk Garrison gives up the bottle, cuts all his hair off, and... well you just have to see the panels.  Issue number 4 I think.  Go to a comic shop one day when you're bored and read them.  They're worth having... I think there's a trade paperback.  The story might not have been the greatest story ever written, but it had plenty to enjoy.  The characters were way awesome.  He didnt' need to make it an ongoing... he could've done 24 issues and crafted a masterpiece.  But like Bachalo on Steampunk (which was way confusing, but extraordinarily beautiful), it was never concluded.  At least Crimson wrapped up.:)  Go Ramos!

Bullio

Quote from: ncannelora on February 04, 2013, 11:36:12 AM

Yeah, so I did some brief Wiki-research. That series sounded intriguing, but was the story any good? It seems possible that half-naked redhead might've been selling as many books as any other factor  :-\

Darksiders is very good.  It's like a mash-up of every popular game style of the last 5 years, but somehow miraculously turned out to be a good game.  It's primarily 3D Zelda with a God of War/DMC-style combat system, but has elements from games ranging from Panzer Dragoon to Portal.  And the ending is one of the most epic endings to a game I've seen in some time.

Haven't played the sequel yet, though I have it in my backlog and am looking forward to finally getting to it.  Not much of a fan of Madureira's art, or at least his X-Men work, but his art style totally works for Darksiders.  I mean, how can you see this and not think "oh sh...!"

thetrooper27

See, if that were Garrison, that would've been killer! 

Darksiders, eh?  Might check it out.

KObossy

Quote from: Bullio on February 06, 2013, 02:45:53 AM
Quote from: ncannelora on February 04, 2013, 11:36:12 AM

Darksiders is very good.  It's like a mash-up of every popular game style of the last 5 years, but somehow miraculously turned out to be a good game.  It's primarily 3D Zelda with a God of War/DMC-style combat system, but has elements from games ranging from Panzer Dragoon to Portal.  And the ending is one of the most epic endings to a game I've seen in some time.

Haven't played the sequel yet, though I have it in my backlog and am looking forward to finally getting to it.  Not much of a fan of Madureira's art, or at least his X-Men work, but his art style totally works for Darksiders.  I mean, how can you see this and not think "oh sh...!"

That pic is great! I like the back drop. I have never played Darksiders but your review has sold me. I'm holding you responsible! :o

chuu

just wanted to weight on this...i'm one of those fans boys that likes comic bimbos, so my favorite artist is Michael Turner (RIP) followed by a few others, Jim Lee, Adam Hughes, Mark Brooks, Ed Benes, Mariah Benes, Al Rio (RIP), Marc Silvestri, Eric Basaldua, Stanley "Artgerm" Lau, Alvin Lee...just to name a few..

IF anyone wants to check it out, I have some Tapiture.com collections of my favorite pieces by these artists

http://tapiture.com/chuu/beautifully-drawn-art
http://tapiture.com/chuu/comics-babes
http://tapiture.com/chuu/comics-pencils-inks-and-similar

Demacus

I'd have to say that my faveorite artist would be Alex Ross.

Joe Mad also has a really sweet style...no further comment on him...

Nate Grey

Joe Mad was one of the few artists that got me to buy outside of Marvel since I really liked his art. Hence I bought Battle Chasers.

Some of my other faves include Carlos Pacheco, Salvador Larrocca, the Kubert Bros., Michael Turner (RIP), Marc Silvestri, Bryan Hitch, and Chris Bachalo.

chuu

Quote from: Nate Grey on March 28, 2013, 02:36:34 AM
Joe Mad was one of the few artists that got me to buy outside of Marvel since I really liked his art. Hence I bought Battle Chasers.

Some of my other faves include Carlos Pacheco, Salvador Larrocca, the Kubert Bros., Michael Turner (RIP), Marc Silvestri, Bryan Hitch, and Chris Bachalo.
thanks for the recommendations, i always liked the art but i didn't know the name of the artist for the Salvador Larroca stuff..

thetrooper27

Larocca had a run on FF that was really awesome.

Nate Grey

Quote from: thetrooper27 on March 30, 2013, 11:54:53 PM
Larocca had a run on FF that was really awesome.

Yeah, I collected FF for the first time during the Larocca run, and the stint Carlos Pacheco did on FF during the Onslaught Saga.

fanneyjack

Alex Ross, Jim Lee, Michael Turner.

BasiliskFang

macfarlane, jim balent & charles burns.