Venture or Team KO

Started by Shoe, August 09, 2013, 09:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoe

in all the times I played overpower with my family who i forced to play, we never ventured missions and just went for the KO.  IT seemd like there were just plain better ways to win in the following order

Venture Strategies always beat KO strategies
Spectrum KO was WAAAY easier than Cumulative KO

was this just beacuse I was a NOOB?  Is any of this fixed if you have non-marvel cards?  I never bought any DC/Image because I'm not a fan

gameplan.exe

in general, I'd say you're right. The Venture system works in such a way that you're able to capitalize on a good hand or two. This is why most games are over, well before that Power Pack gets reshuffled. On the flip-side, it's pretty tough to KO multiple opponents within just a few hands. One of the things I've always found so genius about Overpower, though, is how the Venturing works in tandem with the KO strategy. Things like, how KO'ing characters creates unusables, and how you can then Venture higher based on that.

Having said that, there are certainly some great cards that can really help get one of the other strategies to work much mroe effectively. I think it was breadmaster on here, that had a deck whose strategy was based on draining his opponent of power cards in the Power Pack (with the HB Specials) - so he used Captain Mar-Vell's venture-resetting card, as well as the New Universe Any Hero, to help prolong the game to that "Power pack phase" - where his opponent would likely be missing, say, any 6's or 7's ... not that it happened to me, or anything...  :-[
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Shoe

I had a deck that all it did was manipulate venture total, it was Longshot, Invisible Woman ...i forget the other two but it won a TON of games by just raising my venture total and avoiding attacks.

is that a common tourney strategy at all?

BasiliskFang

Characters with ao specials tend to be used more.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Shoe on August 09, 2013, 10:13:02 AM
I had a deck that all it did was manipulate venture total, it was Longshot, Invisible Woman ...i forget the other two but it won a TON of games by just raising my venture total and avoiding attacks.

is that a common tourney strategy at all?

I've seen some pretty tough decks with Longshot, Invisible Woman, Comm.James Gordon, and Blue Beetle (although, not necessarily all 4 together), but I wouldn't say they are common, exactly. There are also Special cards that add to the Venture, but I'd say those are rarely used (AFs are pretty much never used, AWs used on occasion)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BasiliskFang

gameplan.exe

Quote from: BasiliskFang on August 09, 2013, 04:44:39 PM
OI?

lol, first you have to use Thunderbolts! haha! but yeah, that'd probably get used too  :)
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jack

There's no advantage to using a +venture character in the back, the reserve IA doesn't contribute to ventures. Normally, since Longshot is around, Deathbird is also there to provide a 7F defense for the front line.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jack on August 09, 2013, 07:06:37 PM
There's no advantage to using a +venture character in the back, the reserve IA doesn't contribute to ventures. Normally, since Longshot is around, Deathbird is also there to provide a 7F defense for the front line.

sho'nuff! or else some other defender in Reserve, like Black Widow, Spider-Woman, etc.
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27