Where do you get your comics?

Started by Palatinus, March 31, 2011, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palatinus

Some people have mentioned that they get their comics in monthly subscription, some from trade paperbacks, and some by the magic of the internet.  I am curious how most people get their comics on here.  I have not had any monthly subscriptions in a couple of years.  I don't usually buy the trade paperbacks, but I read them at Barnes and Noble which is where I do my majority of reading.  I do have many comics from downloads as well.

gameplan.exe

I buy TPB on... that online auction site... a lot  :P
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Ranerdar

I get mine at the Things From Another World website. www.tfaw.com

Occasionally they have some pretty good deals and their "nick&dent" copies are 50% of regular price. By nick&dent they obviously mean not mint. But being that I by them for reading not for saving, I don't care that their not mint. And at the worst one I've gotten had a slight crease in the corner of the cover.
I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

Palatinus

I was in Delaware at the end of the summer last year and there was this little bookstore that had a huge pile of TPB's that were at ridiculous prices, like 25 cents to a few dollars so I picked up a bunch there.  Some were series I'd never heard of and others were like Ultimate Spider-Man books.  I do love owning original comics though.  There is just something about the feel and the smell of the book that I love.

Nate Grey

Back in the day (mid-90's) I collected tons of comic books (mainly Marvel and a few Image titles) from local comic book shops. The past couple of years I've stopped buying regularly but every now and then I'll catch up and buy them in bulk, particularly at Comic Con. 

Palatinus

I've never been to a con!  I would really love to go to one.  A comic one, a card game one, an anime one, something great like those.  It seems like it would be very exciting.

rucker73

I usually just pick up my subscriptions from the local shop and will buy back issues online if there is one I can't find locally.
"Wade! into action!"

Nate Grey

So many of my local comic shops closed up which frankly was the main reason why I stopped collecting regularly. Over time I felt so behind on my collections that it made it worse. So many comic shops have closed all over my area ever since the economy went bad. The nearest comic store to my house is like 40 miles away and the owner is so unfriendly that I've boycotted it.  >:( When I get a chance to visit friends in Las Vegas I always stop by their comic shops. They've got really great ones there.  :)

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Nate Grey on April 16, 2011, 02:38:04 AM
So many of my local comic shops closed up which frankly was the main reason why I stopped collecting regularly. Over time I felt so behind on my collections that it made it worse. So many comic shops have closed all over my area ever since the economy went bad. The nearest comic store to my house is like 40 miles away and the owner is so unfriendly that I've boycotted it.  >:( When I get a chance to visit friends in Las Vegas I always stop by their comic shops. They've got really great ones there.  :)

I've run into this same sort of problem. It's as if the remaining shop owners are blaming me for never having come into their store before... it's like, if I'd have come 4 years ago, things would be going well for them, or something  ???
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Palatinus

Quote from: ncannelora on April 16, 2011, 03:04:03 AM
Quote from: Nate Grey on April 16, 2011, 02:38:04 AM

I've run into this same sort of problem. It's as if the remaining shop owners are blaming me for never having come into their store before... it's like, if I'd have come 4 years ago, things would be going well for them, or something  ???

Print media is dying and a lot of people and companies haven't adjusted to that fact yet.  I read all my books electronically at this point but I still know people who are like "But I really wan to hold a book in my hand" which is so much like "But the music sounds better on vinyl".  Of course once these same people get a Nook/Kindle/Smartphone they don't buy physical books anymore.  DC/Marvel/et al need to switch to an ebook method as their primary form of distribution.

Kal-el

I hit up my local comic store every Wednesday. I used to get some books from a mail order service, but I found that I was buying too much and not enjoying it, so I cut way back and buy everything in the store now.

Nate Grey

Quote from: Kal-el on April 19, 2011, 01:56:30 PM
I hit up my local comic store every Wednesday. I used to get some books from a mail order service, but I found that I was buying too much and not enjoying it, so I cut way back and buy everything in the store now.

I tried the mail subscriptions once but sometimes I wouldn't get the books on Wednesdays and I'd be so anxious to get my hands on them that I just couldn't wait and buy them at the store anyway. I quickly let my subscriptions run out after that.  ;D At my peak of collecting, I was also buying way too many and finding it hard to store them. Now I'm just interested in a handful of titles (mostly Avengers-related and some X-Men stuff).

Palatinus

My mom bought me a few subscriptions a few years ago.  They would get all folded and bent by the post office and then two of the series got cancelled so they just started sending me something else instead.  I didn't renew any of them.

Kal-el

Quote from: Nate Grey on April 23, 2011, 07:32:21 PMI tried the mail subscriptions once but sometimes I wouldn't get the books on Wednesdays and I'd be so anxious to get my hands on them that I just couldn't wait and buy them at the store anyway. I quickly let my subscriptions run out after that.  ;D At my peak of collecting, I was also buying way too many and finding it hard to store them. Now I'm just interested in a handful of titles (mostly Avengers-related and some X-Men stuff).

Storage was a big issue for me too. I was collecting a pretty good percentage of all DC books and they were just piling up. When it became a chore for me, I knew I had to cut back. Now I'm pretty much just reading Superman books.

Kyle

The LCBS industry is quite healthy in my neck of the woods. The store I frequent is within a 5 minute walk from my house. And it's really great, because not only are the guys that work their nice, they don't act like snobs if you're not reading the "right" stuff. Nothing worse than nerd elitism.