Shadow Helmet

Started by gameplan.exe, September 04, 2011, 10:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

So, after finding out that the One-Per-Deck BE-coded specials do not fall under the duration rule (meaning, they do not last the entire game), I've taken a liking to the Shadowhelmet, which essentially does the same thing. I only had 1 question, though...

Like the BE-coded Specials, can the Shadowhelmet be played in reaction to your Opponent conceding?

"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

No, it can't. Artifacts must be played on your turn as an action.

And don't get me started on the bullshit, contradictory meta rules for BE specials...  >:( 

;)

-BBH

gameplan.exe

Quote from: BigBadHarve on September 04, 2011, 10:27:41 PM

And don't get me started on the bullshit, contradictory meta rules for BE specials...  >:( 

;)

-BBH

figured, just thought i'd check  :-\
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Demacus

Don't tell me you can't play a BE after your opponent has delcared their concession...

Jesse

Quote from: BigBadHarve on September 04, 2011, 10:27:41 PM

;)

-BBH

So, stupid question. If you have Shadowhelmet and you play it, but your opponent does not concede that battle - does it stay until they do eventually concede?
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Demacus on October 07, 2011, 05:48:06 PMDon't tell me you can't play a BE after your opponent has delcared their concession...

You can still play the BE Specials after they concede, they're reactionary to the conceding action - that's the diff between the Artifact and the Specials.

Quote from: Jesse on March 30, 2012, 11:22:57 AMSo, stupid question. If you have Shadowhelmet and you play it, but your opponent does not concede that battle - does it stay until they do eventually concede?

Not really a stupid question, especially given the contradictory ruling on the BE Specials and the OPD status. Because the "if it's OPD, it lasts for the game" apparently applies to the Shadowhelmet, but not the BE Specials.
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jesse

Quote from: ncannelora on April 03, 2012, 02:57:59 PM

Not really a stupid question, especially given the contradictory ruling on the BE Specials and the OPD status. Because the "if it's OPD, it lasts for the game" apparently applies to the Shadowhelmet, but not the BE Specials.

Thanks - wouldn't have guessed that.
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

Demacus

Is that what BBH was referring to?  The duration meta?  Yeah, I can see how that would be something worth contesting. 

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Demacus on April 04, 2012, 09:14:38 AM
Is that what BBH was referring to?  The duration meta?  Yeah, I can see how that would be something worth contesting.

Yeah, it was one of those retarded head-scratchers they came up with back in the day.

Blanket rule: Any card that has no printed duration is considered to be game lasting if it's an OPD or battle lasting if non-OPD.

But it's not a blanket rule, it only applies selectively. And apparently the phrase 'until KO'd' doesn't constitute a duration. Also stupid.

So, KC special cards (Leader: Twisted Mentality) were changed to battle lasting by this ruling. (Except Grunge's Danger Seeker, which is OPD thus battle lasting.)

What about BR specials (Leader: Freehold)? It's non-OPD, and the printed duration is stated as 'until KO'd.' Of course, as a battle lasting special it can't be used because the effect won't come into play until the following placing phase. But according to the letter of the rules - it's only battle lasting. If you make selective exceptions, you create a contradictory situation... which they did.

If you apply the blanket rule without exceptions (not counting errata), you open up so many possibilities:

Off the top of my head:

KC specials for Mole Man and Leader are game lasting, giving them more punch.

BE specials for Sabretooth, Carnage and the Any Hero version are game lasting, also giving them more punch.

Certain EB specials for Aquaman, Brood, Darkseid, Silver Sable etc... are now game lasting, making them more appealing.

-BBH

Jesse

Quote from: BigBadHarve on April 04, 2012, 12:23:48 PM
Quote from: Demacus on April 04, 2012, 09:14:38 AM

Yeah, it was one of those retarded head-scratchers they came up with back in the day.

Blanket rule: Any card that has no printed duration is considered to be game lasting if it's an OPD or battle lasting if non-OPD.

But it's not a blanket rule, it only applies selectively. And apparently the phrase 'until KO'd' doesn't constitute a duration. Also stupid.

So, KC special cards (Leader: Twisted Mentality) were changed to battle lasting by this ruling. (Except Grunge's Danger Seeker, which is OPD thus battle lasting.)

What about BR specials (Leader: Freehold)? It's non-OPD, and the printed duration is stated as 'until KO'd.' Of course, as a battle lasting special it can't be used because the effect won't come into play until the following placing phase. But according to the letter of the rules - it's only battle lasting. If you make selective exceptions, you create a contradictory situation... which they did.

If you apply the blanket rule without exceptions (not counting errata), you open up so many possibilities:

Off the top of my head:

KC specials for Mole Man and Leader are game lasting, giving them more punch.

BE specials for Sabretooth, Carnage and the Any Hero version are game lasting, also giving them more punch.

Certain EB specials for Aquaman, Brood, Darkseid, Silver Sable etc... are now game lasting, making them more appealing.

-BBH

I love selective blanket rules.

DarKBladE09

So under the 'change' are these still considered one per decks? Because if they do not last until end of game, they are exactly the same as wolverine's BE except for the OPD designation. I know I am being captain obvious here, but why on earth would they be exceptions to the duration rule? I just don't get it. I guess this post doesn't really require a response... I'm just flabbergasted by another strange ruling decision.

Jesse

Quote from: DarKBladE09 on April 19, 2012, 01:20:29 PM
So under the 'change' are these still considered one per decks? Because if they do not last until end of game, they are exactly the same as wolverine's BE except for the OPD designation. I know I am being captain obvious here, but why on earth would they be exceptions to the duration rule? I just don't get it. I guess this post doesn't really require a response... I'm just flabbergasted by another strange ruling decision.

Shadowhelmet is game lasting - the BE OPDs are battle lasting.

Demacus

So, you play Shadowhelmet, a non-opd artifact, and if your opponent does not concede the battle you played it in, you discard it at the end of the hand? Why would the artifact crumble like that?  Same thing for the image inducer for that matter?  If you have it, why would using it destroy it?

gameplan.exe

- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Demacus

Derp!  For some reason I thought Shadowhelm wasn't an OPD.  I don't know WHY I thought that, since it's at the top of the bloody page. lol