DB Specials text

Started by Bios, February 14, 2012, 07:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bios

Not sure if this is the best topic... but there it goes!

DB Specials can be very confusing sometimes.

"Avoids all attacks from 1 Teamwork card, or target character must discard 1 Placed Teamwork card."

so I was thinking how to improve it and Morbius negate just gave me the idea:

"Negates the effects of any 1 Teamwork card, or target character must discard 1 Placed Teamwork card. May not be used to remove a Teamwork card hit."

What about it? Clear enough now?

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Bios on February 14, 2012, 07:40:02 PM
DB Specials can be very confusing sometimes.

LOL, this is good irony right here!

Quote from: Bios on February 14, 2012, 07:40:02 PM
"Avoids all attacks from 1 Teamwork card, or target character must discard 1 Placed Teamwork card."

so I was thinking how to improve it and Morbius negate just gave me the idea:

"Negates the effects of any 1 Teamwork card, or target character must discard 1 Placed Teamwork card. May not be used to remove a Teamwork card hit."

What about it? Clear enough now?

I think the issue is still in the fact that you can't play a DB after dealing with the initial lv.6 attack some other way (e.g., letting it land, using a power card, etc.). A negate can always be played in the middle of a string of specials, unless those specials already can't be negated...

For example, if Banshee intends to play Death From Above, then his 4F (AA), then his 5I (JC), then his 11E (AS), I could play my negate at any point during that string to interrupt it and prevent the follow up actions.

So, how about something like this:

"Avoid the first attack from 1 Teamwork card and and prevent its follow up attacks, or target character must discard 1 Placed Teamwork card."
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Bios

Quote from: ncannelora on February 14, 2012, 08:04:35 PM

So, how about something like this:

"Avoid the first attack from 1 Teamwork card and and prevent its follow up attacks, or target character must discard 1 Placed Teamwork card."

I like your choice. I guess simpler is better! But there is another issue to deal. Its not clear that  DB specials can be used to defend all characters in your team. Want to give it another try?

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Bios on February 15, 2012, 06:35:09 PM
I like your choice. I guess simpler is better! But there is another issue to deal. Its not clear that  DB specials can be used to defend all characters in your team. Want to give it another try?

good point. it does make it more wordy (since you're basically rolling the meta rule / errata text onto the card), but how about this?

"<Character> or teammate avoids the first attack from 1 Teamwork card and prevents its follow up attacks, or target character must discard 1 Placed Teamwork card."
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Bios

Sounds good! And getting rid of a meta/errata is a plus!

thetrooper27

So I can use the DB on my teammate?  If you attack Wolvie with a teamwork, Elektra can stop it???
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

chuu

As far as I know, DBs can be used to protect any team mate.

thetrooper27

breadmaster

whoa indeed ;)

takes em from unusable, to VERY-usable

thetrooper27

Oh yeah... of course, they were good in battlesites, but now they're way awesome.  I'm still learning new things about the rules.

gameplan.exe

for sure! In our circle, ESPECIALLY in Partners Play, Teamwork cards are a HUGE part of our game. consequently, Jubilee is actually used quite a bit since she offers superb defense at low cost  ;)
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Nate Grey

Quote from: thetrooper27 on May 23, 2013, 01:13:56 AM
Oh yeah... of course, they were good in battlesites, but now they're way awesome.  I'm still learning new things about the rules.

Definitely a good "new thing" to learn about this card. Its a shame that the card on its own doesn't really indicate it can be used this way. My friends' eyes lit up when I explained it was like a negate card but only against teamwork cards. Its a must card in my circle of friends since we're always using teamwork cards.

BasiliskFang

So you have to use this card immediately when the tw starts or what?

I think it should always take a power card along with it, otherwise your opponent could potentially use one of his tw cards to fish this special out.

Tw always require a follow up just like an ally card.

Something could be said about them being separate attacks...

Jack

Quote from: BasiliskFang on June 27, 2013, 09:55:07 PM...otherwise your opponent could potentially use one of his tw cards to fish this special out.
Then it's a renege.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jack on June 27, 2013, 10:41:21 PM
Quote from: BasiliskFang on June 27, 2013, 09:55:07 PM...otherwise your opponent could potentially use one of his tw cards to fish this special out.
Then it's a renege.

It's true. One of the genius points of the gameplay of Overpower is that you get to see every discard. It's pretty easy to work back on the 8-10 cards to know that a teamwork that was played (and DB'd) was not a legal play at the time  :-\
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27