Guessed Defense?

Started by Nostalgic, August 07, 2010, 10:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nostalgic

What happens to a unsuccessful defensive card used against a face down attack?  The BK special allows you to make numerical attacks face down.  Let's say Daredevil has that special in play and  on a subsequent turn plays his 'billy club' special which is a level 9 strength attack face down.  The opponent guesses, and tries to block it with a level six fighting power card.  Obviously the level 9 hits, but what happens to the level six fighting card?  Is it returned to the player's hand or discarded?  I didn't see a rule that exactly covers this. 

Also I have an unrelated question about what affects venture total.  Once an attack lands its value counts toward the current battle's venture total.  However, if it is removed later by a card like the morlock's special 'run from slaughter' which can remove a hit from the current battle, doesn't its value still count toward venture total.  I believe the card removing the hit would have say it affects venture total like Hawkeye's 'Field Dressing' special for the value of the special to not count anymore.  This also relates to a negate played to remove a special card that is in the character's 'hits from current battle.'  Would the negate also take away the numerical value of the special as it counts toward venture total or only the damage to the character the hit was on?
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Nostalgic on August 07, 2010, 10:57:17 PM
What happens to a unsuccessful defensive card used against a face down attack?  The BK special allows you to make numerical attacks face down.  Let's say Daredevil has that special in play and  on a subsequent turn plays his 'billy club' special which is a level 9 strength attack face down.  The opponent guesses, and tries to block it with a level six fighting power card.  Obviously the level 9 hits, but what happens to the level six fighting card?  Is it returned to the player's hand or discarded?  I didn't see a rule that exactly covers this. 

The failed defense is discarded. Whether or not the defense succeeds, you have still played the card, and once played the card is discarded into the appropriate pile.

Quote from: Nostalgic on August 07, 2010, 10:57:17 PM
Also I have an unrelated question about what affects venture total.  Once an attack lands its value counts toward the current battle's venture total.  However, if it is removed later by a card like the morlock's special 'run from slaughter' which can remove a hit from the current battle, doesn't its value still count toward venture total.  I believe the card removing the hit would have say it affects venture total like Hawkeye's 'Field Dressing' special for the value of the special to not count anymore.  This also relates to a negate played to remove a special card that is in the character's 'hits from current battle.'  Would the negate also take away the numerical value of the special as it counts toward venture total or only the damage to the character the hit was on?

No, only cards that are in play when the round is over are counted. So whether or not the special says 'may affect venture' any card that is removed from the hits to current battle no longer counts to venture. There was some debate over HD specials (Mojo - caught on film) at tournaments I played in, regarding removal of those cards. The secondary effect states that if successful the opponent is -4 to venture, and even if removed the -4 venture should remain. Ultimately it was ruled (officially) that removing any card also cancels out the secondary effect.

It should be noted, though, that in a typical contradictory ruling (OverPower was plagued with these) cards with a penalty to the player who used them still carried the penalty even if the card was removed (though a negate always removed the penalty as well.) An example is Human Torch's 11 energy attack, which states that Human Torch can't attack for the remainder of the battle. That penalty applies to the player using Torch even if the attack is defended, or taken then removed. Only a negate cancels out the penalty on that card.

Clear as mud?  ;)

-BBH

Demacus

So say I drop a face-down numerical attack, my opponent pulls out his AO. Obviously, if he targets the attack the AO is spent succeed or fail, my question is, could he negate my Blind Man's Bluff as a defensive action, and if so, what happens in response?

Does my face down immediately get flipped face up?

Does it remain face-down, but my opponent forfeits any further defense, thus hitting the target as in the previously stated case, since defending with the 6 and failing didn't yeild a second chance to defend?

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Demacus on July 14, 2011, 07:07:48 PM
So say I drop a face-down numerical attack, my opponent pulls out his AO. Obviously, if he targets the attack the AO is spent succeed or fail, my question is, could he negate my Blind Man's Bluff as a defensive action, and if so, what happens in response?

Does my face down immediately get flipped face up?

Does it remain face-down, but my opponent forfeits any further defense, thus hitting the target as in the previously stated case, since defending with the 6 and failing didn't yeild a second chance to defend?

Your opponent can only negate the Blind Man's Bluff if you are playing it with the attack. In which case, it beats the whole attack.

If Blind man is already in play, he cannot negate it defensively, the negate will only apply to the card you are using to attack. If it's not a special, he loses his negate and your hit lands.

If you're playing Blind Man's bluff with an attack that cannot be defended with a special (ie a JW), he cannot negate it defensively, as the properties of the attacking card apply to all cards in the attack. Well, he can try to negate it defensively, but he'll lose his negate. ;)

And yes, once he chooses his defense, he doesn't get another chance to defend. If his defense fails, he loses the card and your attack hits.

-BBH

Demacus

Thank you again, sir.

Here's another query.  Can you lead off with a blind teamwork?  Say Blind Man's Bluff coupled with a face-down teamwork attack?  Ally Card?  Double-shot?

steve2275

Quote from: Demacus on July 14, 2011, 08:40:12 PM
Thank you again, sir.

Here's another query.  Can you lead off with a blind teamwork?  Say Blind Man's Bluff coupled with a face-down teamwork attack?  Ally Card?  Double-shot?
my opinion is yes

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Demacus on July 14, 2011, 08:40:12 PM
Thank you again, sir.

Not on the same turn that you're playing Blind Man's Bluff, but later in the battle you can.

Quote(35) Specials which grant bonuses/abilities to the playing Character (or the playing Character's team) that can be played offensively can be played along with an attack. The attack may not be made with a Universe card of any kind (although the Special and attack may be made as a follow-up to an Ally attack). In the event that the attack is defended, the bonus/ability would be defended as well and would not take place. The attack may be defended by defendeding the numeric attack or the Special granting the bonus/ability.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27