Special Card Stacking - - limitations?

Started by Jesse, February 15, 2012, 08:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Since I seem to be getting very fast responses for my questions, I thought I'd go ahead and toss out another one that has been rolling around in my head.  If you have a card like Rhino's Animal Stamina or War Machine's War Drone, is there a limit on how many you can play? - i.e. if I were to play Rhino's Animal Stamina 3 times, would his hits to KO now be 26? and at the same time if I play War Machine's War Drone 3 times does that mean I can place that many cards or is that limited to being played once? I don't think you would want to go to the extreme of adding 10+ to your deck but I could easily see 2-3 for some cards like these.
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

Jack

Jesse

Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

Bios

Jesse,

Actually those cards are not worth using. I mean, their effects are too weak to compensate the fact that you just wasted a card.

Think about this hypothetical situation:
- You and your opponent draw 8 cards, with no duplicates;
- You play Animal Stamina on Rhino. Now you have only 7 cards and your opponent still have 8 left;
- Lets suppose the battle goes on, with both players blocking other player's action, until you have no cards left. In that case your opponent still have 1 card in hand, since Animal Stamina wasn't blocked.

What's the chances of that last card in opponent's hand be higher than your 2 points increment? I guess they are pretty good. And using multiple cards like that will just make your deck worse and increase your duplicate chances. Not different with War Drone.

Now the BF Specials (<character> hits to K.O. number is increased to 30) or EK (<character> cannot be Cumulative KO'd for remainder of game) can be good choices. They are OPD but I don't think you would need more than one.

The HH Specials usually don't make much difference (<character> may have an unlimited number of Special cards Placed on him until <character> is KO'd. Specials may not be duplicates), but breadmaster had the idea of playing it on Beyonder, using a battlesite. In that case that card can be very annoying!

Jesse

Quote from: Bios on February 16, 2012, 05:08:04 AM
Actually those cards are not worth using. I mean, their effects are too weak to compensate the fact that you just wasted a card.

Bios,

For the most part I really agree with you on this. My question is coming more from the "what if" scenario based on the cards wording. Since I have been out of organized play with OP for a few years, I'm trying to catch up on rules and things that my group did wrong when we were kids  ::)

Now the BF Specials (<character> hits to K.O. number is increased to 30) or EK (<character> cannot be Cumulative KO'd for remainder of game) can be good choices. They are OPD but I don't think you would need more than one.
I completely agree here, because I am a huge Deadpool fan so the High Threshold of Pain if a great card  ;D

The HH Specials usually don't make much difference (<character> may have an unlimited number of Special cards Placed on him until <character> is KO'd. Specials may not be duplicates), but breadmaster had the idea of playing it on Beyonder, using a battlesite. In that case that card can be very annoying!
That sounds like it could potentially cause some havok - I like it!  ;D

Thanks for the insight tho' - I appreicate it.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jesse on February 16, 2012, 08:05:30 AM

That sounds like it could potentially cause some havok - I like it!  ;D

Thanks for the insight tho' - I appreicate it.

Yeah, specifically, it was Hawkeye's, which doesn't allow one extra card to be placed, it allows unlimited number of Special Cards to be placed! That's one of the biggest hurdles of a Beyonder deck (not having anywhere to place Specials). Plus, it's not even a OPD! It was, in fact, very, very, very discouraging. Seriously... it scarred me...
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

breadmaster

i stole the HH idea from pass the gestalt

he uses hawkeye on his beyonder team though (i use it from the site)

when he's on your team, you can put in 2 (in case one gets negated).  even if they both get through it's still good (2 opds on hawkeye, the non opds on beyonder)