Great to be here! - Nate Grey

Started by Nate Grey, January 26, 2011, 03:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate Grey

Hello everyone. It feels great knowing there is an Overpower forum for players to hang out in. Reading over the topics and getting to know some of you through the Overpower facebook page has me a bit intimidated since you all know so much and I feel like such a newbie, which technically I kinda still am. Here's just a bit of background on my Overpower experience. A college buddy of mine and myself got into Overpower back when it first started. We are huge Marvel Comics fans and weren't into CCGs but Overpower got us interested in it because of the comic book connection. We immediately fell in love with the game and spent many hours battling it out, even getting quite animated with the characters we have been reading about for so many years. Back then we really weren't much into the strategy of the game, but we just had fun with the characters, but still doing our best to stick to the rules. We stopped playing after the Powersurge set came out and he stopped buying cards. I didn't have a playing partner any more but over the years I was still interested in collecting the cards.

Some months ago I found my cards once again and the nostalgia came back. I've been madly buying up Overpower cards on eBay to complete my collection. I got my friend interested again and we have recruited two new players to the cause, both can't believe we haven't been playing it before. Luckily my playing buddy from college did find his old cards in a shoebox so combined with my collection we have enough cards to make functional decks. Since I stopped playing before Location Cards came out, I don't have any experience using them. So far we are just playing Any Hero decks without Location Cards since I'm just teaching them the basics while re-learning some stuff myself. Over time I'm sure we'll get to all the great strategies I've been reading about in these forums.

Well, I've rambled long enough for now. Its great being here and I've already met some awesome and friendly people through the Overpower facebook page.

Hot Rod

Awesome!

If you have any questions about building modern high-powered decks feel free to ask, and getting some sort of deck builder (OPDeck/OPoline) is a good idea.

Plus of course, if you can make it to Toronto you'll learn a ton.

Nate Grey

'Sup HotRod. Thanks for your willingness to help. I have lots to learn.   :-\

BigBadHarve

Welcome to the boards...  :D

The community keeps growing!

-BBH

gameplan.exe

You're describing what I did almost exactly! My wife bought me an Original booster box for Christmas 2 years ago and it's been all over since then! I got a few friends and brothers into it again (and my nephew, to teach an entirely new generation!) and these boards have been a great help to us, too.

Anyway, welcom aboard! lol - lame
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Nate Grey

Quote from: BigBadHarve on January 27, 2011, 01:53:43 AM
Welcome to the boards...  :D

The community keeps growing!

-BBH

Thanks for the greetings. I'm excited to be here. I can see myself posting in here quite often so hopefully more people will notice how active this place is becoming and it'll get more people to join.  :)

Quote from: ncannelora on January 27, 2011, 02:29:13 PM
You're describing what I did almost exactly! My wife bought me an Original booster box for Christmas 2 years ago and it's been all over since then! I got a few friends and brothers into it again (and my nephew, to teach an entirely new generation!) and these boards have been a great help to us, too.

Anyway, welcom aboard! lol - lame

Hi! I take it you're related to Joshua based on the last name. He was nice enough to trade some cards with me last year when we met through Facebook. It was a great trade and he really helped me in completing my sets.

I'm also trying to teach a new generation with my nephew and niece. Next time we meet I promised to show them Overpower.

gameplan.exe

QuoteHi! I take it you're related to Joshua based on the last name.
yeah, my name is Nic (no "k", because there's no "k" in "Nicholas"!)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Kal-el

Hi!

I know you saw my post elsewhere, but your experience is relatively similar to mine.

I collected Original, Powersurge, Mission Control, DC, IQ and JLA before stopping years ago. I had a complete set of both original and DC, but that was it. My friend and I played with modified rules (we never used missions, and I've recently learned we were doing many other things wrong), but we stopped when Monumental came out, so we missed out on all of the modern stuff that I'm reading about now.

Ever since I finished grad school two years ago and actually have money I've been buying booster boxes whenever I can, primarily just to finish my sets but I'm also getting back into playing.

Nate Grey

Quote from: Kal-el on January 29, 2011, 08:47:37 PM
Hi!

I know you saw my post elsewhere, but your experience is relatively similar to mine.

I collected Original, Powersurge, Mission Control, DC, IQ and JLA before stopping years ago. I had a complete set of both original and DC, but that was it. My friend and I played with modified rules (we never used missions, and I've recently learned we were doing many other things wrong), but we stopped when Monumental came out, so we missed out on all of the modern stuff that I'm reading about now.

Ever since I finished grad school two years ago and actually have money I've been buying booster boxes whenever I can, primarily just to finish my sets but I'm also getting back into playing.

Looks like we do have some uncanny similarities. I also finished grad school a couple years ago and now with much more pay, I am buying up lots of Overpower Cards to complete my sets. Even though I stopped playing after Powersurge, once in a while I would revisit my overpower collection and had the chance to buy booster boxes of Mission Control, IQ, and Monumental (back when they were going for cheap) over the years. I've just started trying to collect the Classic and X-Men Overpower sets. Even though I did get location, event, ally, and double shot cards, I never learned how to really use them since I had no one to play with. Now that I'm on these boards I am also learning all of the modern stuff like yourself. These boards have also been helpful in updating me with rules. I found out I've been playing Any Hero specials wrong, like placing all of them or picking them back up from the Dead Pile after playing the Web Headed Wizard. You certainly don't find these rules in the booklets that came with the original sets.  :-\

Kal-el

Quote from: Nate Grey on February 01, 2011, 02:52:29 AM
Looks like we do have some uncanny similarities. I also finished grad school a couple years ago and now with much more pay, I am buying up lots of Overpower Cards to complete my sets. Even though I stopped playing after Powersurge, once in a while I would revisit my overpower collection and had the chance to buy booster boxes of Mission Control, IQ, and Monumental (back when they were going for cheap) over the years. I've just started trying to collect the Classic and X-Men Overpower sets. Even though I did get location, event, ally, and double shot cards, I never learned how to really use them since I had no one to play with. Now that I'm on these boards I am also learning all of the modern stuff like yourself. These boards have also been helpful in updating me with rules. I found out I've been playing Any Hero specials wrong, like placing all of them or picking them back up from the Dead Pile after playing the Web Headed Wizard. You certainly don't find these rules in the booklets that came with the original sets.  :-\

That is quite similar. Sadly I didn't start buying again until prices had started to go up, but I did manage to get PS and Mon boxes for $70 each, so I was pretty happy with that. Balanced out the $220 I spent on my IQ box.

I am also learning tons of new rules. It's a little embarrassing how many things I was doing wrong. For fifteen years my friend and I have been using Universe cards incorrectly, and doing discarding all wrong. I'm actually really excited to play the real way, I think it'll be a lot better than what I've been playing.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Kal-el on February 01, 2011, 01:10:55 PM
Quote from: Nate Grey on February 01, 2011, 02:52:29 AM

That is quite similar. Sadly I didn't start buying again until prices had started to go up, but I did manage to get PS and Mon boxes for $70 each, so I was pretty happy with that. Balanced out the $220 I spent on my IQ box.

I am also learning tons of new rules. It's a little embarrassing how many things I was doing wrong. For fifteen years my friend and I have been using Universe cards incorrectly, and doing discarding all wrong. I'm actually really excited to play the real way, I think it'll be a lot better than what I've been playing.

Meh, if you guys were having fun and the game worked for you, then you can't say you were 'doing it wrong.'

It's good to learn the official rules, of course, but if you guys had a blast playing the way you played, then who's judging?  ;)  The real fun is playing a variety of people with different strategies, that's where games can get intense.

-BBH

Kal-el

I agree on some counts. If the game is fun then that's all that matters.

That being said, some of the ways I was playing kind of broke the game.

Nostalgic

Quote from: Kal-el on February 01, 2011, 01:30:41 PM

Just wanted to say welcome to Nate G. I also was cursious as to what was game-breaking about what you did?
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

Kal-el

Quote from: Nostalgic on February 01, 2011, 06:42:29 PM
Quote from: Kal-el on February 01, 2011, 01:30:41 PM

Just wanted to say welcome to Nate G. I also was cursious as to what was game-breaking about what you did?

Well let's see. We continued to draw cards and discard dupes/unusables until we had full hands. We allowed conceding in non-mission games. We kept basic universe cards as damage.

Those were probably the big ones. The problem was that we read the rules once when we were 12 and then only played amongst ourselves so we never were corrected. Then just recently I reread the rules and realised just how many errors we were making.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Kal-el on February 01, 2011, 08:19:06 PM
Well let's see. We continued to draw cards and discard dupes/unusables until we had full hands. We allowed conceding in non-mission games. We kept basic universe cards as damage.

Those were probably the big ones. The problem was that we read the rules once when we were 12 and then only played amongst ourselves so we never were corrected. Then just recently I reread the rules and realised just how many errors we were making.

Those really aren't broken rules - so long as both players could do it, then it's fair. Not official, but at least fair for all involved.

Truly broken rules tip the balance and create an unfair situation to the advantage of anyone capable of exploiting it.

-BBH