BK and activators

Started by AO user, September 29, 2016, 07:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AO user

So if the Ray plays blinded by light (all numerical attacks are played face down) can he play an activator and play that special face down? That would make attack more mysterious (now i get why mysterio has one of these ;). Would you simply play activator facedown or draw special and play that?

If he could play marauder's harpoon with its secondary effects from morlock tunnels site: ouch!

Seeya soon north of the border ( for many of us)

BigBadHarve

Yes, any numerical attack, even from a site. Of course, by playing the activator, your opponent may be able to make a guess as to what you're playing, but the attack can be made face down.

Demacus

I have a quick question on Activators, which kind of ties to this topic.

Back when Monumental released and the "Use old hero cards as Activators" rule came into play for the first time, my friends and I were very confused by how to use Activators.

The rules of the time seemed to indicate that if you were making an attack from a battlesite, that you would actually target an opponent's character with the Activator Card itself, and not the attack you intended to use, until the Activator itself was either defended against or not, at which point you would swap the activator for the attack that you planned to use under the battlesite.

Is this accurate, or do you simply reveal the Activator Card from your hand, and swap the attack/defense from under the battlesite immediately, then play that card itself?

Under the implied rules at the time, cards like "No cards with a fighting icon can be used against (x) for remainder of battle" would effectively halt the Activator Card cause it would contain a fighting icon, thus stopping the incoming battlesite attack, even if the attack card in question didn't have a fighting icon on it.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Demacus on February 23, 2019, 10:36:01 AMI have a quick question on Activators, which kind of ties to this topic.

Back when Monumental released and the "Use old hero cards as Activators" rule came into play for the first time, my friends and I were very confused by how to use Activators.

The rules of the time seemed to indicate that if you were making an attack from a battlesite, that you would actually target an opponent's character with the Activator Card itself, and not the attack you intended to use, until the Activator itself was either defended against or not, at which point you would swap the activator for the attack that you planned to use under the battlesite.

Is this accurate, or do you simply reveal the Activator Card from your hand, and swap the attack/defense from under the battlesite immediately, then play that card itself?

Under the implied rules at the time, cards like "No cards with a fighting icon can be used against (x) for remainder of battle" would effectively halt the Activator Card cause it would contain a fighting icon, thus stopping the incoming battlesite attack, even if the attack card in question didn't have a fighting icon on it.

You're technically playing both the Activator and the Special at the same time. So, the icons on the Activator are considered part of the attack, even if the attack had no icons at all (like an AX special). Also, this would mean that a failed attack would still remove the Battlesite Special from the Battlesite, so you couldn't attempt that same attack Special again, later, when you drew another Activator for it.

Having said that, some circles are now using proxy activators that use Character cards. instead, they might have an Activator Icon, or some circles use a proxy that has no icons at all
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27