Friday Rule Testing Event - 2017 K2

Started by clericblackdave, February 06, 2017, 04:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clericblackdave

Testing these 3 rules:

1) Doubleshots may be used to defend either character who is contributing to the defense. (This should make Tactics easier to understand for play, and more useful as potential defenses against JW's used versus non-8-rank characters).

2)Training and Basic Universe Cards count towards damage when used offensively.  (slight increase in their usefulness)  They are separate hits to remove as well.  Basic Universe hits DO contain the icon for purpose of determine spectrum; Training Universe hits do not.  They also count as "a hit" separate from the power card they are modifying (just like how AE specials work)

3)Additional Homebase ability:
A homebase may have up to two (2) cards placed to it – an aspect, AND a character-specific special card from the active team (new rule). This acts as an additional placing spot for the team (this evens the placement disadvantage they had versus Team OP); however the special card is only playable by the character to whom it belongs.  Exception – the Team Overpower homebase (and its variants) may place an Any-hero or activator to this spot, but may NOT use the ability to place one of its team's specials.

Q/A so far on rules:

1) "Basic Universe hits DO contain the icon for purpose of determine spectrum":  Does this means that a 6I+3 basic universe combined with a 4M would count as two separate icons towards spectrum KO?
2) "They are separate hits to remove as well":  Just to be clear, the only way to remove a basic universe hit would be a special that says "remove one hit" or "remove all hits", right?  In particular, EE specials (e.g., X-Man: Street Prophet) would not work.
3)(a) "A homebase may have up to two (2) cards placed to it:an aspect AND a character-specific special card from the active team (new rule)": Again, just to be clear, this does include Marvel Universe and Marvel Manhattan, right?
(b) Is it correct that "character-specific special" is meant to exclude any characters that can be placed (e.g., Bastion)?
4)(a) "however the special card is only playable by the character to whom it belongs": Would it be more correct to have this stated as "however the special card is only playable by any character allowed/able to play that special".   There are two situations I am interested in:
(a) a team with multiple characters that use the same specials, e.g., Inhumans and Crystal or any Beyonder team
(b) a team where a special card allows a character to play another character's specials, e.g., Green Goblin: Goblin Legacy or Spawn: Living Costume

ANSWERS

1 - Yes
2 - Also correct. You can remove a BU as you would remove any other card.
3 - a) Correct. Marvel Universe and Manhattan benefit from this rule. Team OP does not.
     b) Also correct. Any-Heroes may not be placed using this rule. (Obviously except Team OP)
4 - a) Yes, a better wording will be considered in the end. But any variant/clone capable to playing the card may access it. (beyonder, etc.)
      b) Also yes, once the condition that allows them access to the card is in play that is. You should note, though, in the case of Green Goblin's Goblin legacy, when Legacy is in play, then those two cards (Exploding Pumpkin and Gauntlet Blaster) become 'Any Heroes' and must be treated as Any Heroes for the remainder of the game, thus would not be placeable.
Hi David,

AO user

Nostalgic

I was curious as to how the rules testing went for these house rules?

For the record, I really like/love rules 1 and 3.  In fact I think with the doubleshot you could make it defend 'any' frontline character because of the 2 card  resource involved. (anything to help with more usefulness) Rule 3 is set in stone for my house rules now.  8)

Now rule 2 involving the basic/training universe cards is a tougher nut to crack.  You still have the problem with card advantage (1 defensive card stopping a combined 2 cards for offense) and with limited deck size the opportunity cost of putting those cards in the deck as opposed to more useful cards. Also when used defensively you loose card advantage again.

I came up with some rules that address all of these issues, and though I think they are simple in practice they do take a more than a sentence or two to explain. I have never had a chance to test them out however.
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."