What’s everyone reading?

Started by Anyonecanbethebug, May 22, 2024, 08:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anyonecanbethebug

Title says it all. What are ya reading in May '24?

Currently working my way through:

Chainsaw Man - I read the first two volumes about a year ago and thought they were great, but just got caught up in life. Re-read the first volume again and it's just as awesome as I remember. Imagine if Peter Parker was possessed by a Chainsaw devil, and just really wanted to eat a nice meal and kiss a cute girl. On that note...

Pitiful Human Lizard - I've got the second trade of this superb Canadian comic, a comedic but heartfelt tale of a guy who just wants to do the right thing in his Toronto neighborhood. PHL rules and also channels those Peter Parker vibes.

(I'd love a crossover between Denji from Chainsaw Man, Spider-Man, the Pitiful Human Lizard, and Deku from MHA. Just real sweet people trying to be better than the world around them).

Space Riders - Another deep cut, with three arcs and 11 issues (I'm still waiting on that 12 issue Black Mask, you bastards!) FFO: robots, spaceships, space Latinos, space Red Sonja, great art, Jack Kirby, potty mouths.

Ultimates by Ewing, Rocafort, and Foreman - This was easily the best "Avengers" book to release post-Secret Wars. It's a shame it never got enough room to breathe and explore the outer limits of the 616 like it intended. There's a world where the Ultimates grew, maybe Ewing got his hands on Miracle Man in the post Marvel buyout, had crossovers with his own Immortal Hulk run, but the 22 issues featuring America Chavez, Black Panther, Blue Marvel, Captain Marvel, and Monica Rambeau will nonetheless be burned in my brain for lifetimes.

JSA by Geoff Johns - Loved this book when it came out. It has been one of the biggest drags to get through as an adult. Bad dialogue, a too big cast with very little time to give to any of them, a meandering story with too many threads. Bummed on this one!

Besides those, I'm trying to stay current on Ram V's Detective Comics run and Stephen Graham Jones' Earthdivers, and always loving Ice Cream Man.

I'd love to hear from youse guys! Best!

Majestic

I've regularly read comics for over four decades, and have around 14 long boxes full.

Sadly, for the last couple years I've pretty much quit reading new stuff, with the exception of Saga (which I collect in trades).

fennshysa

I've just started back through Maddrox and X-Factor with the Peter David X-Factor Omnibus. I never really thought Peter David was a good writer til I read the X-Factor Investigations stuff.

Palatinus

I'm reading through all of marvel 2099.  It's definitely a product of its time and has some real issues, but there's also a lot of good mixed in and I like when they actually try to do different things.