OverPower Poll

Started by CCTelander, February 03, 2009, 05:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCTelander

Haven't seen one of these on these forums yet, so I figured I'd be the first to try it. Just a few questions.

1. What are the top ten Marvel Characters that never actually got cards, which you'd like to have seen get a set?

2. Same Question for DC.

3. Same question for Image.

4. Of the existing Marvel Characters, what 25 characters that were unplayable (define that any way you like) at the time of OP's demise would you like to have seen get new more cards to be made playable?

5. Same Question for DC.

6. Same Question for Image except say 10 characters instead of 25.

Hopefully, this'll get a few responses.

OP LIVES!

Chris
OP LIVES!

Chris

If you're into Homemade OverPower Cards, be sure to check out this site for TONS of fun new cards and ideas!

http://justabgkid.com/emporium/homemadeemporiumhome.html

rucker73

Question 1-  MOON KNIGHT!!!, Nova, Mephisto, Loki, Abomination, Kraven, Cloak & Dagger (Counting them as 1), Wonder Man, Thanos and The Vulture.

Question 2 -  I don't know enough about DC...   Man-Bat, Mr.Freeze, Bizarro, Scarecrow, Lobo, Blockbuster... I don't know

Question 3 - I know even less about Image.   

Question 4 - Spider-Man, Venom, Carnage, Apocalypse, Black Panther, Kingpin (good cards, unusable grid), Wolverine, Cyclops, Gambit, Doctor Doom, Dr.Strange, Forge, New Warriors, Captain Britain, Doc Ock, Sabretooth, Vision, Deathlock, Namor, Thing, Falcon, The Punisher, Iron Man, Rogue and She Hulk

Question 5 - Batman x 25 (90% of the DC characters were pretty well unplayable)

Question 6 - I don't know
"Wade! into action!"

CCTelander

Quote from: rucker73 on February 10, 2009, 11:41:57 AM
Question 1-  MOON KNIGHT!!!, Nova, Mephisto, Loki, Abomination, Kraven, Cloak & Dagger (Counting them as 1), Wonder Man, Thanos and The Vulture.

Question 2 -  I don't know enough about DC...   Man-Bat, Mr.Freeze, Bizarro, Scarecrow, Lobo, Blockbuster... I don't know

Question 3 - I know even less about Image.   

Question 4 - Spider-Man, Venom, Carnage, Apocalypse, Black Panther, Kingpin (good cards, unusable grid), Wolverine, Cyclops, Gambit, Doctor Doom, Dr.Strange, Forge, New Warriors, Captain Britain, Doc Ock, Sabretooth, Vision, Deathlock, Namor, Thing, Falcon, The Punisher, Iron Man, Rogue and She Hulk

Question 5 - Batman x 25 (90% of the DC characters were pretty well unplayable)

Question 6 - I don't know

Can't disagree with any of your choices. I like all of those guys!

Yeah, the DC sets were pretty under-powered when compared to Marvel or Image characters. I've had some success using The Ray, Brainiac, and even Doomsday, but for the most part DC characters just never managed to keep up.

I did build a pretty successful Batman and Robin deck shortly after Justice League was released. It was light on Specials but REAL heavy on Teamworks, and it actually managed to win a good percentage of the games I played with it.

Overall, the DC characters could use a lot of help though!

OP LIVES!

Chris
OP LIVES!

Chris

If you're into Homemade OverPower Cards, be sure to check out this site for TONS of fun new cards and ideas!

CCTelander

Wow. None of the other 19 members have any opinions on this? Like I said, wow.

I'd post my own list but mine isn't really a wish list anymore. Every character I've ever wished had gotten cards, and every existing character that I've ever wished would get better cards either already has, or will in the not too distant future thanks to our Homemade Cards!

Sure wish there were a few more people willing to share an opinion on this.

OP LIVES!

Chris
OP LIVES!

Chris

justa

1. Blink, Abomination, Expediter, Shatterstar, Viper, Lizard, Angel, Klaw (missing but on a battlesite, you have a good start on them).   maybe Chameleon & Impossible Man.  after that the list goes on & on & on......

2. Mr Freeze, Robotman (aka Cliff Steele), Dr Fate, Spectre, Black Lightening, teams (hero & villian, separate or together, say JLA, Legion of Super Heros, Fatal Five, Royal Flush Gang, etc)

3. I'm pretty light on Image - at least Spartan, Ballistic, Cy-Gor (from battlesites), maybe Voodoo without the daemonite

4, 5, &6. cant really say as i haven't played in years.  i used to think that crappy specials were a designed off-set for powerful grids, but Chris's homemade cards have disolved that theory.

CCTelander

justa:
1. Blink, Abomination, Expediter, Shatterstar, Viper, Lizard, Angel, Klaw (missing but on a battlesite, you have a good start on them).   maybe Chameleon & Impossible Man.  after that the list goes on & on & on......

Yeah, we've gotten started on most of the characters listed on Locations that didn't get "official" cards. Abomination is pretty much completed, although all of his cards aren't up at the site yet. Blink and Expediter are the only two that we haven't even looked at yet, and that's just a matter of time!

Like you, my list went on & on & on, but that's probably pretty obvious based on the character lists on the site!

justa:
2. Mr Freeze, Robotman (aka Cliff Steele), Dr Fate, Spectre, Black Lightening, teams (hero & villian, separate or together, say JLA, Legion of Super Heros, Fatal Five, Royal Flush Gang, etc)

We haven't gotten very far along on our DC stuff yet. There actually ARE a lot of cards done for existing characters, but I haven't hed time to get the DC III section up and running, so they're only up on a few of my eBay listings as yet.

Can't disagree with any of your choices for new characters. There are a some I'd add, like Deathstroke, Black Adam, Bizzaro, Scarecrow, John Constantine, Arsenal, man, this list is likely to go on & on & on too!

justa:
3. I'm pretty light on Image - at least Spartan, Ballistic, Cy-Gor (from battlesites), maybe Voodoo without the daemonite

We haven't even started on a list for Image yet, but those you mentioned will definitely be on it. Also probably Freefall, Rainmaker, Hellspont, Maul, Void, Pitt, Burnout and probably lots of others I can't think of off the top of my head.

justa:
4, 5, &6. cant really say as i haven't played in years.  i used to think that crappy specials were a designed off-set for powerful grids, but Chris's homemade cards have disolved that theory.

Our approach to the homemades is a bit different from the one it seems the game designers took a lot of the time. IMO they were way too timid at times.

I was talking to an old OP Bud about a week ago. He still plays Magic regularly and when we got to talking about the homemades he made a comment about the direction the designers of MTG have taken in recent years. He said that they had started designing ALL cards so that they were, what Steve called, a B+ or better. That's pretty much what we shoot for with the homemades. We want EVERY card to be a card that's worth playing.

That basically means that you won't be seeing any level 4 AA, AB, or AR Specials! After all, back in  the days when OP was in print, when you opened up packs from a new set, what were the cards tat you actually got excited about? Were they the bland, vanilla level 4 AR attacks, or the nice, juicy level 11s? I know when we opened up packs it was the Power Leech, and Master of Magnetism type cards that we really got jazzed about!

And, as long as there are sufficient counters, or the cards cost enough to actually play, powerful cards aren't a problem.

I actually think that your theory was probably exactly what the game designers intended at the time. But what results from that kind of thinking, as we've seen, is a LOT of unplayable characters. We decided we wanted to do things a little differently.

Just a few thoughts.
OP LIVES!

Chris

CCTelander

I noticed that we have a couple of new members and wondered if they had any thoughts on this topic.

I also wanted to welcome them to the forum!

OP LIVES!

Chris