K2 CHALLENGE Overpower Tournament - March 14 and 15 - State College, PA

Started by DiceK, June 21, 2013, 08:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueFire

Any Cards that were scheduled to be released in the Marvels Set, that were not officially released, may be used by means of a proxy.  This would include the Anypower teamwork as it was never officially released... 

Sadly, You are certainly right about not holding your breath.  Zero chance of one of those two cards being in the prize pool.   :'(

teesaw

What about creating a new "promo" card?  It's been a while since megapower, and maybe the community here could create a new one-off card: An any hero special or an artifact, or maybe even a new hero card.  (Maybe give one card to everyone in attendance, and let people mail in for the extras - like the old days)..Who needs the Overpower Legion?

Also in terms of prizes, if Chuu's got another set of his comics babes power cards laying around, I wouldn't see why that wouldn't make a decent prize.
"I could almost taste the victory...but ultimately it was denied, as is usually the case." - Nate Grey

My Customs

Latest Customs: Black BoltIron Fist * S.H.

BlueFire

Hi teesaw,

Many people have created home made cards over the years.  This is a great way to spice things up within your play group.  But, if we are ever going to again have a nationwide or even international running of events, there needs to be consistency.  Honestly, there are plenty of people on the west coast that are not even ok with the use of the marvels.  I feel they make the game better, but if I had to give up that set for the future good of the game, I would. 

I would love to see a day when there is enough interest in the game to again run local regional tournaments and a national championship.  There could be a real legion with ratings and even possibly the legal rights to produce the game again.  This is all possible and we are taking yet another step toward this by introducing a fun, super simplistic draft format at our event.  Our hopes are that people can use this format as a stepping stone for new players to become familiar with many basic mechanics of the game.   As it stands now, I find it hard to teach new players such a complex game in the short attention span world in which we live.  If we do have a real legion in the future, we could make new promo cards and send out the venture newsletter again ;)

Finally, I feel I need to add, that the amount of deck design options in both the X-Men and Marvels formats is immense.  You really don't need to spice things up, this is a great deeply strategic game just as it is.  Just look at chess, that game never changes...

teesaw

Quote from: BlueFire on January 07, 2014, 12:00:31 PM
I would love to see a day when there is enough interest in the game to again run local regional tournaments and a national championship.  There could be a real legion with ratings and even possibly the legal rights to produce the game again.  This is all possible and we are taking yet another step toward this by introducing a fun, super simplistic draft format at our event.  Our hopes are that people can use this format as a stepping stone for new players to become familiar with many basic mechanics of the game.   As it stands now, I find it hard to teach new players such a complex game in the short attention span world in which we live.  If we do have a real legion in the future, we could make new promo cards and send out the venture newsletter again ;)

I couldn't agree more
"I could almost taste the victory...but ultimately it was denied, as is usually the case." - Nate Grey

My Customs

Latest Customs: Black BoltIron Fist * S.H.

BlueFire

Supermartin

I will be at this event. I really loved the hologram Overpower characters. If someone could make some, they would make awesome prizes.

BlueFire

Good to hear from you supermartin and welcome to the forum.

We have no plans to create cards at this time.  We do however have access to genuine holo heroes.  If placing a holo hero in the prize fund interests people we may do that.  Lets just say, you were not the only one that thought they were Awesome!

Please let us know your name and if you are coming with anyone else.  As well as where you will be traveling from.

My name is Philip Keffer and I'm coming from just north of Washington DC.  I would love to invite you to the event on the Facebook page for the K2 challenge, if no one has already.

Supermartin

My name is Martin P Slinkosky II. I live just east of Scranton, PA. I am coming alone, but a friend from the Buffalo, NY area is trying to arrange things to come. A holo hero in the prize fund interests me greatly. I would hope that all participants get something special with their entrance fee. You may invite me via face book. I never heard about the Marvels unreleased set till now. Nice to meet you Philip.

chuu

i can print up some power card sets if they are needed for the tournament.  i'll just send them with Jack or BigBadHarve..

BlueFire

If you could do that Chuu, that would be great and much appreciated.

Thanks!

BlueFire

Tournament Format for the K2 Challenge:

Swiss Style Format

- Number of rounds based on time available. Likely 8 rounds.
- You will be matched with opponents of similar records that you have not already played each round.

No Top 8 for the following reasons

- All participants will get to play as much overpower as possible!
- All participants will get to play as many different opponents as possible.
- The best performing players will likely all end up playing each other by days end.
- The person that performs the best throughout the tournament will be the winner.

Tie Breakers

- The first tie breaker will be head to head match results
- If the players have not played, there will be one final game to determine the Champ.
- If 3+ players have tied, there may be a multigame play off required.

Time

- Each round will be 50 minutes plus one extra round.
- There will be a 90 minute dinner break following either round 4 or 5

**We may even find a creative way to reward players for playing all 8 rounds.

HollyWood

Who is gonna be judging this to confirm legality of decks? Meaning, if someone expresses a concern about the number of cards in a deck, or weather their opponent has only 1 of each OPD. I for one don't mind anyone going through my deck after we have played...
"I'm your huckleberry"

BlueFire

There will be a number of members at the event that know the rules very well.  My cousin and I know them fairly well and will be able to answer the majority of the questions ourselves. If we come across a rule we are not sure about, we will ask for advice from a few other knowledgeable members of the tournament.  Then we will make a final decision.  Of course the players involved will be allowed to have their opinions heard during this process.

1.)  Q: Does my opponent have a proper number of cards in his or her deck:

A: At the beginning of each round players typically pile shuffle and or just cut each others decks.  During this time it is smart to count the cards if you are concerned about this.

2.)  Q: Multiple OPD's etc.

A:  This has never been a problem, but since you must show your opponent the cards as you discard them every round it is quite easy to catch this kind of cheating.

If we ever feel there is a strong reason to believe a player is using an illegal deck an objective 3rd party will be asked to check that deck as well as the deck of the accuser.  If by some unlikely turn of events the 3rd party ends up playing either player at a future point in the event, that player will be allowed to look through the 3rd parties deck before the game begins.

Cheating will not be tolerated and will lead to immediate disqualification.  Hopefully this will never happen.   

Jack

From past experiences in the tournaments I hosted, nobody has really cheated.

I'm sure some of us kept the extra card in hand or played an illegal move but I haven't heard a single renege called.