Great to be here! - Nate Grey

Started by Nate Grey, January 26, 2011, 03:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate Grey

Quote from: BigBadHarve on February 01, 2011, 01:19:24 PM
Meh, if you guys were having fun and the game worked for you, then you can't say you were 'doing it wrong.'

It's good to learn the official rules, of course, but if you guys had a blast playing the way you played, then who's judging?  ;)  The real fun is playing a variety of people with different strategies, that's where games can get intense.

-BBH

This past weekend I told my friends about the rules I had learned from being on these forums and we incorporated them into our gameplay and we still had a great time. Aside from the Sum Deck Rule, we do strive to learn and play by all the rules. Along the way we have come across problems and scenarios that I wasn't sure about but you guys here have easily answered them for me. Its funny how even though we think we know all the rules, questionable outcomes still arise and we have to debate the interpretations amongst ourselves.

Like Kal-El, our problem was that my friend and I played amongst ourselves so we never realized if we were playing incorrectly. Its good to know where to go to get our answers.  ;)

Quote from: Nostalgic on February 01, 2011, 06:42:29 PM

Just wanted to say welcome to Nate G.

Thanks Nostalgic! A pleasure to be here and meet all of you.

Nostalgic

Quote from: Kal-el on February 01, 2011, 08:19:06 PM
Well let's see. We continued to draw cards and discard dupes/unusables until we had full hands. We allowed conceding in non-mission games. We kept basic universe cards as damage.

Game breaking indeed. LOL!  ;D

Quote from: Kal-el on February 01, 2011, 08:19:06 PM
Those were probably the big ones. The problem was that we read the rules once when we were 12 and then only played amongst ourselves so we never were corrected. Then just recently I reread the rules and realised just how many errors we were making.

I definitely understand that.  I was about the same age when I started playing with my best friend and we had our own misinterpretations as well.  ;)
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

Nate Grey

Wow! I'm so impressed to see 7 people logged into these forums at the same time!  ;D Just wanted to note that. It's the most I've seen ever.

Hot Rod

Quote from: Nate Grey on February 21, 2011, 10:08:38 PM
Wow! I'm so impressed to see 7 people logged into these forums at the same time!  ;D Just wanted to note that. It's the most I've seen ever.

Haha, indeed it is the most so far I think.  If 1 or more people stay logged in for a solid amount of time then others tend to log in as well it seems.

Nate Grey

Quote from: HotRod on February 21, 2011, 10:26:02 PM
Quote from: Nate Grey on February 21, 2011, 10:08:38 PM

Haha, indeed it is the most so far I think.  If 1 or more people stay logged in for a solid amount of time then others tend to log in as well it seems.

You are right! I have begun noticing that. I just might log in more often then.  ;) It might allow continued inspiration for the pros to share with us all their knowledge and strategy about the game. I'm certainly absorbing it all.  :)

Hot Rod

Quote from: Nate Grey on February 21, 2011, 10:32:32 PM

You are right! I have begun noticing that. I just might log in more often then.  ;) It might allow continued inspiration for the pros to share with us all their knowledge and strategy about the game. I'm certainly absorbing it all.  :)

Hahaha!  I have to be careful with what secrets I want divulge now!   :P

Nate Grey

Quote from: HotRod on February 21, 2011, 11:30:30 PM
Quote from: Nate Grey on February 21, 2011, 10:32:32 PM

Hahaha!  I have to be careful with what secrets I want divulge now!   :P

I've been reading a lot of great info and strategy posted recently. If anything, its intimidating me even more.  :-[

Nostalgic

Quote from: Nate Grey on March 05, 2011, 01:36:26 PM
I've been reading a lot of great info and strategy posted recently. If anything, its intimidating me even more.  :-[

Agreed.  My thought is the 'whole is greater than the sum.'  The strategy sometimes breaks it down to 'inth' degree that I think to myself, "play the game not the rules".  This speaks to the diversity of characters used down to trying to make 'real' comic based teams and allies work. After all at the end of the day its about comic characters bashing each other.  ;D  For the tournaments however strategy is undoubtedly the key so there's definitely value in that.  ;)
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

Nate Grey

I hear ya. I think I just need to come to terms with differing aspects of the game - the comic fan theme decks vs tournament decks. Its the latter that has me reeling as I try to understand the different strategies involved with tournament-worthy decks. If I ever get an opportunity to play with any of you guys, I at least want to present somewhat of a challenge. I'm not a sore loser and don't mind getting demolished since I see losses as learning experiences.  :)

Just noticed I've gone up in rank as a junior member! Nice!  ;D

drdeath25

Quote from: Nate Grey on March 06, 2011, 01:19:34 PM
I hear ya. I think I just need to come to terms with differing aspects of the game - the comic fan theme decks vs tournament decks. Its the latter that has me reeling as I try to understand the different strategies involved with tournament-worthy decks. If I ever get an opportunity to play with any of you guys, I at least want to present somewhat of a challenge. I'm not a sore loser and don't mind getting demolished since I see losses as learning experiences.  :)

Nate, you and nccannelora have the perfect attitutude for learning and getting better, I see a lot of potential in both of you. You guys just have to decide which is more important to you, the fun of theme decks, or the competitiveness of a tournament deck. Let me know what Hotel you end up with for SDCC this year, perhaps we could have a small 4-person meet-up in a hotel-lobby one night, or something.

Kal-el

I'm jealous of you SDCC guys. I don't know when I'll have a chance to play some Overpower and actually find out what it's like to play against competitive decks.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: drdeath25 on March 06, 2011, 02:28:58 PM
Quote from: Nate Grey on March 06, 2011, 01:19:34 PM

Nate, you and nccannelora have the perfect attitutude for learning and getting better, I see a lot of potential in both of you. You guys just have to decide which is more important to you, the fun of theme decks, or the competitiveness of a tournament deck. Let me know what Hotel you end up with for SDCC this year, perhaps we could have a small 4-person meet-up in a hotel-lobby one night, or something.

definitely the comic-based decks. I have no interest in ever using H4H, Spawn, or Mauraders.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Nate Grey

Quote from: drdeath25 on March 06, 2011, 02:28:58 PM

Thanks! I've been doing my homework, reading up on all the battlesites and event cards since I've never used them before. They certainly add an exciting and challenging dynamic to the game. I've been too comfortable playing with just Any Hero decks so its about time I expand my horizons.

As soon as I figure out which hotel my friends and I will eventually end up with then I'll let you guys know. I'm doing my best to meet up with them regularly to teach them more about Overpower in the hopes that they'd feel comfortable enough to play with other Overpower players.

Post Merge: July 10, 2011, 08:43:31 PM

Testing....

Sorry, just seeing if my rank would change once I reached 200 posts.  ;D Looks like it didn't.

Palatinus

Quote from: Nate Grey on July 05, 2011, 01:59:53 AM
Testing....

Sorry, just seeing if my rank would change once I reached 200 posts.  ;D Looks like it didn't.

Or did it . . .

Nate Grey

Quote from: Palatinus on July 05, 2011, 01:34:56 PM
Quote from: Nate Grey on July 05, 2011, 01:59:53 AM
Testing....

Or did it . . .

Haha! I see it now.  ;D