Best locations

Started by Palatinus, March 31, 2011, 10:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palatinus

Can anyone list the best/most powerful/winning-ist locations that are used for homebases as well as for battlesites?  I don't necessarily just want to build power decks, but knowing what locations are considered the best would give me an idea of what direction to take any given location.  Also, I guess a list of the worst ones wouldn't be bad either.  Sometimes I like to take something considered bad and try to make it work.

Nate Grey

It has surprised me seeing how many location cards actually give you penalties. Makes me personally not want to use those. Avalon comes closely to mind.  :-\

Jack

Quote from: Nate Grey on April 01, 2011, 01:30:01 AM
It has surprised me seeing how many location cards actually give you penalties. Makes me personally not want to use those. Avalon comes closely to mind.  :-\
waits for BBH to post.

gameplan.exe

I've had huge success with Muir Island as a HomeBase. also had some pretty good success with Wundagore Mountain and with Department H as HomeBases.

the most useful Battlesites i've built were on The Outback and The Danger Room. lately i've had a fun time with Mojoworld (but without Mojo, the spineless creep) and Krakoa (as suggested on another thread).

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 08:22:03 PM

oh yeah, almost forgot, X-World is a really fun HomeBase, as is X-Mansion.

Avalon is a tough, tough pill to swallow. i find it a personal challenge. i've endeavored it a few times with middling success.
... speaking of tough pills, never built Savage Land... those are tough Grids to pool together, plus that lousy Inherent   :-\
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

rucker73

I've had some fun using Age of Apocalypse as my home base, and if you are playing with The Marvels, Sanctum Sanctorum can be killer.  And of course Four Freedoms Plaza is probably the most powerful home base of them all.

I like to use the Vault as a battlesite because you can get Vertigo and a negate under there.
"Wade! into action!"

BigBadHarve

Ahhh, the homebases! I love 'em. Back in the day I knew players who couldn't figure out why I kept trying to make them work...

Favourites include - Avengers Mansion, Hell's Kitchen, Age of Apocalypse, Avalon, Dept. H, Landau, Luckman and Lake(!!!), Danger Room.

Quote from: Jack on April 01, 2011, 01:36:53 AM
Quote from: Nate Grey on April 01, 2011, 01:30:01 AM
waits for BBH to post.

Yes, Jack has seen my Avalon deck firsthand. It's a hurtful inherent, to be sure, but it can be worked around with a little careful strategy, and when the team works, it can hammer an opponent quite nicely.

Landau, Luckman and Lake has a killer aspect. Use an LL&L team with Psylocke and an Image Inducer, and/or Morlock Tunnels as your site for vertigo, and you can set up a game winning (non negatable!) trick. Well, vertigo is negatable, but the aspect isn't. Use fatal attractions to set it up and you're good to go. Add to that, the team is a solid build with a consistent grid. Captain America, Deadpool, Psylocke (or old Venom is good if you want that 6 energy stat to activate the image inducer) and Wolverine in reserve.

Age of Apocalypse with an Avenger's Mansion site also has a potential bet 7 game winning tactic that you can set up with relative ease.

So many untapped options.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

QuoteInsert Quote
Ahhh, the homebases! I love 'em. Back in the day I knew players who couldn't figure out why I kept trying to make them work...

I love'em too!
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Bios

FFP is great, Asteroid M is good and Madripoor is ok. I learned to respect Ravencroft and I still think that the Avengers Mansion sucks (except for the one BBH built, this one actually works!)

LRoq617

Has anyone tried a Hellicarrier build? It doesn't seem all bad when you can put together a lineup between Cap, Skull, Widow, Fury, and Samson, though Hydra can sit this one out. Samson gives you an extra teamwork, while Skull has arguably all of the better specials.

I'm thinking of working on a build that definitely uses Cap, Widow, and Samson in some capacity. Fury backs up the Fighting stat, but his specials are just so... bleh, aside from the 8A. Red Skull gives you more flexible specials plus another Teamwork with 7I. Thoughts?

Palatinus

I think Avengers Mansion could be interesting.  I like a lot of the characters.  Actually, Mission Control was one of my favorite expansions because I still really like all of the characters from that set.  Vision is one of my favorites too.  He is only on there and Wakanda which appears to be an awful location though I haven't tried it.  Doctor Doom is one of those characters that got screwed in the special department despite being so awesome in the comics.  And Klaw.  Guess they never got around to that one . . .

BigBadHarve

Quote from: LRoq617 on April 07, 2011, 01:33:53 AM
Has anyone tried a Hellicarrier build? It doesn't seem all bad when you can put together a lineup between Cap, Skull, Widow, Fury, and Samson, though Hydra can sit this one out. Samson gives you an extra teamwork, while Skull has arguably all of the better specials.

I'm thinking of working on a build that definitely uses Cap, Widow, and Samson in some capacity. Fury backs up the Fighting stat, but his specials are just so... bleh, aside from the 8A. Red Skull gives you more flexible specials plus another Teamwork with 7I. Thoughts?

Yes. The Hellicarrier isn't bad. I usually go Nick Fury, Cap, Skull in the front, with Widow in Reserve. Samson is a good sub out for Skull for the TWs... but as you say - Skull definitely trumps him in the specials dept, and you still get an additional TW from Skull.

Widow does have some great cards too, so an option is to bring her up, and put Fury in the back, if you don't like what he's got aside from his Howling Commandos. Though, having those up front is very nice indeed.

Quote from: Palatinus on April 07, 2011, 01:00:45 PM
I think Avengers Mansion could be interesting.  I like a lot of the characters.  Actually, Mission Control was one of my favorite expansions because I still really like all of the characters from that set.  Vision is one of my favorites too.  He is only on there and Wakanda which appears to be an awful location though I haven't tried it.  Doctor Doom is one of those characters that got screwed in the special department despite being so awesome in the comics.  And Klaw.  Guess they never got around to that one . . .

Avengers is one of my favourites, though lately I've been using it as a Battlesite to awesome effect. I've tried Wakanda a couple of times, but didn't love it. If you use the Marvels, then it's much more potent with Hawkeye's Action Leader, Panther's 10 and Vision's draw 5. It would have been interesting to see what they did with Klaw and whether that would have taken the site to a new level.

I wish they'd given Doom another solid non-OPD or two. Something to complement Doombots would be really awesome, though Doombots does give you an opportunity for a 6 hit string through Doom, which is nothing to sneeze at even as is.

-BBH

Palatinus

I've never really seen Dr. Doom as very playable but I've never really looked into that technique for stringing attacks.  He is one of those characters that really should have been a lot better.  I always loved him in the comics.  It was always great when someone like Spider-Man would finally foil his evil plan, catch up to him, get a good hit in, and knock the head off of the Doom Bot.  So classic.  Like Kakashi from Naruto.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Palatinus on April 08, 2011, 01:03:06 PM
I've never really seen Dr. Doom as very playable but I've never really looked into that technique for stringing attacks.  He is one of those characters that really should have been a lot better.  I always loved him in the comics.  It was always great when someone like Spider-Man would finally foil his evil plan, catch up to him, get a good hit in, and knock the head off of the Doom Bot.  So classic.  Like Kakashi from Naruto.

I like using him. I would love if he had more cards, but he's not terrible. Being an 8 stat goes a long way, and Doombots is a good card. If nothing else, he's a good sacrificial lamb, though that seems odd given that it's Dr. Doom!   ;D

-BBH

LRoq617

Another I've been considering is Blue Area of the Moon. The Inherent hurts quite a bit upon initial view, but you can also work around it. Using the Marvels with a lineup of Crystal/Dark Phoenix/Quicksilver/Inhumans (R), I get away with running only 7 Energy power cards along with Any-powers for the higher slots. For the event, The Crossing can KO Crystal to bring up the Inhumans so you don't lose specials, and the deck overall is fairly hard-hitting with Jean's 9s, Quicksilver's 11s, and the Inhuman's 8m and 9i, and their new universal special avoid is just great. I've also got Outback as a battlesite to cover negates, though I could easily see going with Any Heroes.

Has anyone else tried this supposed crippling site?

BigBadHarve

Quote from: LRoq617 on April 09, 2011, 10:20:29 AM
Another I've been considering is Blue Area of the Moon. The Inherent hurts quite a bit upon initial view, but you can also work around it. Using the Marvels with a lineup of Crystal/Dark Phoenix/Quicksilver/Inhumans (R), I get away with running only 7 Energy power cards along with Any-powers for the higher slots. For the event, The Crossing can KO Crystal to bring up the Inhumans so you don't lose specials, and the deck overall is fairly hard-hitting with Jean's 9s, Quicksilver's 11s, and the Inhuman's 8m and 9i, and their new universal special avoid is just great. I've also got Outback as a battlesite to cover negates, though I could easily see going with Any Heroes.

Has anyone else tried this supposed crippling site?

Yes. It really isn't bad. If you go with an energy build, you can always use the Energy Power Cards for defense as much as possible. And as you say, you can really hammer your opponent with some heavy hitting cards, and make a kill team out of it. "Venture? Meh, I don't care, I plan to wipe you out!"

Alternatively, you can try an energy/intellect dual suit build, but I haven't had any luck with that approach. I prefer the straight up energy team.

-BBH